Frustration
I'm trying to keep my posts upbeat and positive, however, I've noticed some things over on the 'book that I need to speak on ... So hear me out ...
I'm all for those that wish to immigrate to our once great nation, so long as they do it the way that legally affords them the same opportunities I have as an American citizen. I, by no means, feel that our country should close it's doors to those seeking refuge and a better life ... so long as they do it legally.
I've seen the younger generation, those who call themselves "millennials" post the most ridiculous memes, spouting on about how if you are all for building a wall then you should stop eating "ethnic" foods. This tells me that these young minds do not really understand what the purpose of having secure borders really means.
I've also seen people post how they are against building a wall for the simple fact that it is President Trump's initiative, because they don't like him, we get it, he is not generally a likable man. Can we please get over this and move on. Like him or not, he is the leader, commander in chief of our once great nation. And then I see how people who are affected by this government shutdown because Democrats don't want to give in to a demand from someone, who, correct me if I'm wrong, perpetuated his intentions of this wall, throughout his entire campaign.... For the sake of those working, unpaid, to keep our borders safe, let's get past this.
Wall or no wall our borders need something to keep people from coming in illegally, to slow down the amount of illegal drugs from coming into our country, killing our family and friends. Let me reiterate, I'm all for those that wish to immigrate to our once great nation, so long as they do it the way that legally affords them the same opportunities I have as an American citizen.
Here's where I get frustrated... I work a full time job, a part time job and I go to school full time. I have no choice but to take a high deductible health insurance plan to make sure my family is insured. This leaves me with the potential of having annual health care costs of over 20% of my annual salary from my full time job, not to mention the over 30% taken from my paycheck each week. That's essentially over 50% of the time that I will need to decide if I can get medical treatment or put food on the table, heat my home, or have water for my home. I am not eligible for Medicaid, food stamps or HEAP.

*Side note, even as an single mom of 2 on unemployment in 2012, I was not eligible for food stamps because I made too much on unemployment!!!*
I have been dealing with a medical condition since August 2, 2018, that none of my doctors can figure out what the underlying cause is, the next logical step is one that will cost me nearly $2000 every 12 weeks... For something that may work, and could take up to at least 3 treatments to even know if it's going to work.

However, I pay into a system that affords people who come to this country illegally obtain free healthcare, food stamps, housing assistance, daycare assistance, utility bill assistance (just to name a few) ... And people are crying about a wall? How are you NOT mad about this??? How can you sit back and say you are OK with paying into a system that takes away so much from you, as a legal citizen, and gives so much to those who come in illegally, looking for the same rights as those of us who were either born here or came here legally?

I say either build the wall, or allocate the funds to find a way to better secure our borders so that MY RIGHTS AS A LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZEN ARE NOT COMPROMISED. Healthcare is astronomical, the cost of housing is insane if you want to live in a neighborhood that is considered relatively safe, the cost of food is out of control. And don't even get me started on the cost of daycare and utilities.
My bottom line is this:I don't feel that the desire to build a wall is to keep all people out, it's purpose would be to make it just a little bit harder for those who feel it's OK to just walk into our country and demand rights as if they deserve them. Let's face it, there are many, many other entryways into our country that don't involve the Mexican border, but if this is a step toward taking back our country, I'm all for saying "if you want to come here, sign these papers, take that test, and let's get your criminal background check done while we're at it too!"
Peace, Love and Light,
Christine
Comments
Post a Comment