Opinion Post: The thr...., no, the most important things children should be taught in school...scratch that, childhood.

The three ..., no, the most important things children 
should be taught in school ... childhood


I am an opinionated woman, I can't help it, I was raised that way .... no, really, I was.  I was raised to be able to speak my truth, back it with force (the intellectual kind, that it is), but to afford others the same.  So here it is, my truth, about what I feel children should be taught in school ... scratch that, childhood.



When I was younger, if I fucked up, I would have been TERRIFIED to go home and reap the consequences of my actions, not that it happened all that often, but the youth of today have no respect, for anyone, not even themselves. This is something that should be taught at home, and carried into school. When I was in school, if my parents ever got a phone call from school as a result of my poor behavior, there was no finger pointing back at the teacher, fighting for the teacher to get fired, it was pointed at me, for my lack of respect toward a teacher, another student or an administrator. Nowadays, all I hear is how parents go in screaming at educators for how their child was mistreated, with no regard for how the child's behavior caused the situation. I attribute this to the "everyone is winner" status quo that society has succumb to.  



I believe all children should be taught how to write in cursive, understand poetry, type/write in full sentences that do not resemble a text message full of misspelled words, with a blatant disregard for punctuation and grammar. I believe children should learn how to read, to use a dictionary and a thesaurus, tie their shoes, and speak with confidence. I believe children should be taught about historical events, past presidents (or leadership if you happen to be reading this and do not live in the US) and how they contributed to our country, the state capitals and the different political parties and how each has an effect on the economy, people, and their role throughout history and how politics today has changed. History is the building block of our lives, that which is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself, however, I believe history should be just that, history.  The constant nagging of what an ancestor went through in a not so distant past should shape and mold us for the future, not cause tension and enemies, children should be raised in a manner that speaks to cultural competence. To not just love thy neighbor, but to ask questions and become informed about the different cultures that make our nation so diverse. Too much judgement is passed on others for the color of their skin, their religion, their ethnicity, their socioeconomic background, their gender and their sexual preference. 

Children should be taught manners from a very young age, at home, and carried into every other aspect of their life.  A simple "please" and "thank you" can go a long way in evolving as a reputable human being.  Children that are taught to use manners, are being set up to inherently learn respect. They go hand in hand. 





Children should be taught that money doesn't grow on trees, and that if they want something, they have to work for it. I see no reason for a 10 year old child to have any kind of smartphone, keeping them connected to a digital world that harbors bullying and negativity, 100% of the time.  Earning money is hard and it doesn't come easy, children should be taught this. They should be taught the value of saving money to be able to buy that big ticket item that they've been asking for since the day after last Christmas.  And on that topic, children should not be led to believe that the big-ticket item that they did get for Christmas came from Santa Clause, keep those gifts from mom and dad, so other, less fortunate children don't feel like they are not good enough.  This teaches children that lifting others up is important, and that bringing them down should not be an option. Children should be taught that being a janitor is just as important as being the CEO. That every job they have is a stepping stone to where they want to be, and they should work as if their job is just as important as the person next to them.



Children should be encouraged to learn their native language first, and a secondary language so they have the opportunity to immerse themselves in a culture different from their own. Children should be encouraged to take photographs, and taught how important photographs are - I fear that when they are needed all we will have are photos on our computers, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and phones. There is nothing better than a tangible photograph. Children should be taken to museums and art galleries so they can appreciate history, science, and art. 


Children should be taught to have morals and values. To have an opinion, and to stick by it, even if they are wrong, but be open to the possibility that another person's opinion could be another way of looking at things, and allow themselves to have their mind changed when someone else's argument proves more valid then their own.  Children should be taught to love, fiercely and with every ounce of their being; and should be shown that same type of love.  That time is precious and to revel in every moment with family and friends, as we are not certain what tomorrow will bring.  That saying "I Love You" cannot wait another moment.  Children should be taught to write letters and thank you notes when someone has done something nice for them.  Above all else, I, personally, believe that children should be taught that life isn't fair, but it is worth every moment, every breath that is taken.


Peace, Love and Light,
Christine

Want to join in? Write a blog post of the same title and add the same hashtag at the bottom as I have and let's get creative together! Leave a link to your post as a comment! I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions in 2019!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repost: Taking the magic out of Christmas ... and bringing it back. Finale.

Repost: Taking the magic out of Christmas ... and bringing it back. Part 14.

Repost :Taking the magic out of Christmas ... and bringing it back. Part 17.